A massage session, when done right can help you relieve stress, detoxify your body and help you relax and keep healthy. In most cases when a massage session is done, the person who was being massaged gets off the massage table feeling relaxed and sufficiently energized to go about his or her daily activities.
As you enter into the massage room or lay on the massage table it is important to remember that you too play an important hand in how the massage turns out. Don’t expect the therapist to know all the places you wish to receive thorough massages if you don’t let it be known to him or her.
1. Avoid eating prior to the massage session as this can negatively affect your massage session. Ideally, you should give your body at least a 90 minute time-frame to help it digest some of the food consumed.
2. Ensure that you are properly hydrated before your massage session. This way, your blood flow is in a good space for your body to receive the massage. You should also remember to drink plenty of water after the massage to help your body flush out toxins.
3. Come slightly earlier for the massage appointment to avoid feeling rushed and restless as you would if you presented yourself right on time or later than the set time. Coming in earlier helps you relax and get your mind into the massage ahead.
4. As the massage session goes on, don’t be shy to communicate with the therapist on what is making you feel good and what may not be working. Avoid suffering through techniques that feel like too much pressure for example when you can easily let your therapist know what is happening so that he or she may make appropriate adjustments.
5. Don’t forget to breathe as you enjoy the massage. This is especially important when your deep tissues are being worked on. As you breathe, your focus will go to relaxing your muscles- sometime you wouldn’t really do if you dosed off for example.
6. In case you have specific areas on your body that you think need the massage the most then you need to inform your therapist. When the therapist knows where some of your problems lay, he or she is in a better position to provide you with the best possible relaxation.
7. Don’t rush off the table once the massage is done. Instead, you need to take your time lest you feel light headed or dizzy from the abrupt movement. Besides avoiding getting light headed or dizzy, taking time to get off the massage table can also help you take note of exactly how you feel after the massage. The sensation you get whether it is feeling energized or happy should help spur you on your daily activities.
At the end of the day, a massage when done right can help you feel happier and more energized so why not make the most of it?